I recently joined the National Speakers Association (NSA), and their 2012 Winter Conference was this past weekend in Dallas. Over the course of three days I wrote plenty of notes, but wanted to share those golden nuggets that some of the high powered speakers said. In this funny picture with Brian Tracy I was actually having a conversation with him, and he was smart enough to answer me while looking at the camera! That’s why he is a go-zillionaire and I’m not.
There were so many fabulous tidbits that I decided to split the list in half. Look for the other half in my next post! Here are the first 8…
- “It’s funny how flowers grow out of the dirt sometimes.” Lisa Sasevich was talking about how sometimes we feel we have a lot of nothing, but keep working away, until suddenly, success appears.
- “Don’t change your act. Change your audience.” Again, a quote from Lisa when she was talking about her dad, Eddie Garson, who is a professional ventriloquist. This was something he used to tell her when she was tempted to change directions in her business.
- “If you don’t board in the next 18 months, you do not reach the New World!” Love this quote from Brendon Burchard, author of The Millionaire Messenger. He was talking about how the next 18 months are critical to the development of our individual web presence and the ability to proliferate our message. We each need to own our topic online now or someone will take that spot instead.
- “I don’t think competition. I think choice.” Brendon B, again. Many people feel the same way about others who are in the same business and space as we are. Let’s not view them as competitors. They really aren’t. We are our own unique business. Plus, we’re busy. We buy what’s in front of us. So capture that spot first!
- “Does this really move the needle for the reader?” (Yes, BB) Is what you are talking about in your blog, ezine, social media posts really making a difference to your reader? If not, then course correct. Don’t just serve out “stuff.” And, continually ask if your work moves your OWN needle, too!
- Here’s the one that probably impacted me the most. “We need to focus. The average American watches 4 hours of TV per day. Over your lifetime that equates to 13 years, people! The cost to you is over $2 Million in lost wages. And if that money were invested, a way greater sum.” Brendon Burchard was talking about productivity and discipline. (He was moving so fast, all my pictures of him are fuzzy! This is one high energy dude.) I am vowing to not waste time anymore during the day. Get up and get going.
- “You’re not marketing to a grandstand. You’re marketing to a moving parade.” This pearl of wisdom is from superstar Alex Mandossian. Like Lisa’s Dad, he is saying to keep on with what you are doing; get better and better at it. New prospects and clients are always in the pipeline who haven’t experienced you before. Stay with your message.
- “What gets measured gets treasured.” This was repeated by Valerie Cade and is pretty simple. If you want to achieve something, set some goals around it, look at your performance, and measure your performance towards getting there.
Well, you should have nodded and smiled at least a couple of times while reading these little gems. Feel free to print them out and post above your desk. I know I will.
Would you do me a favor and let me know which one was your favorite? Thanks for sharing!