One of the new options on your Facebook Timeline is the app/view/tab area that displays below your cover photo. There are 4 icons that show at any given time, although up to 12 will display in the drop down area.
The left-most icon will always be your Photos. Facebook doesn’t allow that to change positions. The photo on top of the icon is always the last one you uploaded. Some companies have a special icon or photo that they want to show at all times. If that is the case, you must re-upload that custom graphic or photo each time you add a different photo in a post.
Many businesses used to have custom landing tabs. After the rollover to Timeline, those are no longer landing tabs, but exist as custom tabs and are found in the same custom app area along with Photos, Notes, Videos, or any of the other 12 available spots. You will most likely want to create a custom icon/graphic for any custom app. Here’s what you need to know:
- Size 111 x 74 px
- Can use a photo or graphic
- You may want to match your branding
- Could include a call to action (remember that the cover photo can not)
- Click on the down arrow to the right of the custom app area. It may have a number beside it, (in my case, “4″) which indicates how many additional apps are “hidden” beneath the ones that are showing. (up to 4 show)
- Hover over the app where you want to change the icon
- Click on the pencil that displays
- Select “Edit Settings” from the menu
- On the “Edit XXX Page Settings” window that pops up click on “Change” beside “Custom Tab Image.”
- Now you are on a screen entitled “Upload a Custom Image”
- Click on the blue “Change” and browse to find the custom image you want to use
- Once it has loaded, then you can close this window and go back to your Facebook page window. Click on “Okay“, and you will see your new custom image in place
And that is how you change the icon for your custom app! Next post: how to change the order of your custom apps.